Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Jail Nurse and First I.V.

I worked at the hospital yesterday, there were no admitted patients and no ER visits (until right before my shift ended. . . why does that always happen?). It was a really LONG 12 hours. In the morning the administrator came and asked if I'd like to train as a jail nurse. I was a little hesitant at first but decided I'd like the experience. There is a jail that houses up to 80 (?) prisoners about 8 miles from the hospital. I felt a little claustrophobic when every door I went through slammed shut and locked. It is the nurse's responsibility to set up the medications and do basic procedures on the inmate's if needed. I felt very safe the entire time. Each inmate is shackled and chained and accompanied by a guard while we irrigate their ear, or whatever they want done. Any way, it was interesting, but I definitely won't be doing it on a regular basis. I did agree to be the fill in nurse if they need me.

Once I got back, I went into the lab and asked the tech if she'd give me some tips on starting I.Vs and doing basic lab draws. She was more than willing to give me some advice. I was really excited to go home and practice what I'd been taught. Believe it or not, Eric was more than willing to be my pin cushion! I set everything up, and got the needle into a vein both times I tried. I was so proud of myself!! Any way. . . I had Lexi take a picture of my first IV. *Beware. . . if you're squeamish don't scroll down to see the picture. . . . (Anneke :) )





Looks pretty good huh?

8 comments:

Johnny and Anny said...

It's a good thing that I'm not your kid, I think I would pass out on a daily basis. Thanks for the warning about the pictures, surprisingly I didn't get light-headed. That's quite the experience with the inmates, and I'm glad you felt so safe.

Jennifer Zito said...

Someone has to take care of them (criminals)...it's nice that you weren't scared to do it! Nice job on the I.V! Billings Clinic could use someone like you; I felt like every time they drew blood, I looked like I was beaten...lol, not to mention that it doesn't feel wonderful. NICE JOB ERIC! You're such a sport, whatever it takes to make her happy right...lol.

April said...

Woohoo! Come practice on Steve and I this weekend. :)

Kris said...

I sat here trying to think of something witty about what you might do next that's worse. It finally struck me that you're at the very bottom of a long slippery slope :)

Loree said...

wow what an experience for you. a jail nurse and poking your hubby with a needle. you are one touch chick! I don;t think i would be as brave as you lady :)

amberzito said...

You look like a pro!

Unknown said...

Sounds like the title of some crazy movie...that would probably be against my religion to see :) Man, Erik is brave. I could never have done that! Glad to see you are putting all that school and practice to work :)

Granny Z. said...

I waited several days to leave a comment 'cuz I just didn't know what to say! I still don't. I can't believe you like to do that and I really can't believe Eric let you. I guess that is why I am not a nurse!! Lol